The Helen J. Napps Award of Excellence, established by the Virginia Coalition for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (VCPEA), recognizes professional excellence by individuals who work in the area of elder abuse prevention and/or elder abuse protection. VCPEA presents the award at its annual abuse prevention conference in Virginia Beach in odd-numbered years.
Nominees have made substantial contributions to the prevention of and/or response to the neglect, abuse, and exploitation of older Virginians. Nominees demonstrate moxie, integrity, attitude, and adaptability in their actions. They may work in adult protective services, domestic violence services, aging services, mental health services, health services, rehabilitation services, law-enforcement, legal services, health care, academia, guardianship, research, volunteerism or any other discipline that participates in elder abuse prevention and/or protection.
Previous winners include:
- Linda Eaton (2001), Montgomery County Department of Social Services APS
- Catherine T. Parks (2003), Consumer Affairs in the Virginia Beach Commonwealth Attorney’s Office
- Norma Darcey (2005), Fairfax County TRIAD
- Janet Brennend (2007), New River Valley Ombudsman Program
- Linda Matkins (2009), Shenandoah Valley APS
- Cyndi Gable (2011), Prince Edward APS
- Vicki Hall (2013), Wise County DSS
- Anne See (2015) Harrisonburg, Blue Ridge Legal Services
- Betty Bazemore (2015), APS Supervisor, Spotsylvania County DSS awarded posthumously